- Este debate está vacío.
23 noviembre, 2020 a las 12:26 am #928Gloria McgovernInvitado
The Sociology of Work
Continuity and Change in Paid and Unpaid Work
by Stephen Edgell
- Language: english
- Author: Stephen Edgell
- Publisher: Sage Publications Ltd
- Release date: January 12, 2006
- ISBN: 9780761948537 (0761948538)
- Format: paperback, 264 pages
About The Book
Steve Edgell has written an up-to-date, comprehensive guide to the sociology of every type of work: paid and unpaid, standard and non-standard, under- and unemployment. Sweeping in its historical reach and rigorous in its analysis of key issues of work, this book charts the rise of `work’ from the first human societies and provides nuanced understanding of the issues at stake in standard, non-standard, unpaid and voluntary work. Drawing on classic and contemporary theorists, the author:
– covers key issues regarding paid work: alienation, post-industrial society, network enterprises in the informational society, flexibility, Fordism, McDonaldization, the destandardization of work, and the social impact of unemployment and underemployment;
– discusses key issues regarding non-paid work: domestic work as `work’, the impact of technology, the impact of feminism, feminization and globalization;
– offers a historical perspective of work and gender.
‘The overall sweep of the book — from pre-capitalist/industrial to post-globalism is attractive and challenging. The extension of the study of work beyond paid office/factory work is to be welcomed. In short this book will make a wise and welcomed addition to the existing range of sociological texts.’ — Professor Huw Beynon, Director School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University
‘Stephen Edgell’s Sociology of Work is a reliable, comprehensive and accessible text. He has taken a number of central themes in this field and engaged with the relevant literature and debates in a thoughtful and authoritative way. The comparative and historical treatment of the topics offers an illuminating perspective on the contemporary world of work. Students will find this book to be an invaluable resource. I predict that their copies will become much thumbed and annotated!’ — John Eldridge, Emeritus Professor of Sociology, University of Glasgow.
FictionBook The Sociology of Work by Stephen Edgell iPhone. MOBI ebook The Sociology of Work buy on IndieBound. Hardback book The Sociology of Work download for iPad.
EPUB ebook The Sociology of Work Stephen Edgell read on Audible. MP3 book The Sociology of Work Stephen Edgell on reader on Dymocks. Paperback The Sociology of Work download.